Tuesday, September 23, 2008

thank you, children's orchard















































I must say we are rather spoiled. Because of the amazing generosity of Jeremy's older brother and his wife (Joel & Stacie) giving us ALL of their boy clothes when we had Hyrum (and also many other gifts by friends & family) we rarely need to get any clothing items for the boys but once in a while we do need something. This year I knew we needed to get Hyrum a coat and a very WARM coat seeing that we live in the frozen tundra of Michigan. We got Jeremy a very warm coat last winter so I knew it would be expensive. So I was a little worried about how much we would need to spend.

There is a store here called The Children's Orchard that sells used clothing and toys for kids and I usually think it's rather over-priced for used things but everything there is in great condition-clean, no rips or stains. Every year this store has a tent sale where everything is at least half off of what they normally sell it for. They put everything under a tent in huge tubs and there are lots & lots of tubs. So I get there right on time last Saturday and I start looking through the 3T tubs. One minute it wasn't there and the next minute it was - in perfect condition, a big red DOWN coat just Hyrum's size! I couldn't believe no one else had snatched it up! It is so nice and warm and I think it will fit him for two winters and I paid 5 dollars for it! It was a GAP coat and I have never darkened the doors of a Baby Gap and probably never will so I had to look up on-line to see what they normally go for - yup, 50 bucks so I enjoyed a nice 90% off discount :) I still can't believe the luck! I also found two pairs of cords for Hyrum (brown & tan), each for 2 dollars, bought new at Old Navy for 20 dollars (another 90% discount), some church shoes for 3 bucks and a nice pair of jeans for Hunterbug.

10 comments:

Donna Shoop said...

I love finding a great deal! What a blessing! He looks pretty cute in them, too. :)

libby said...

lucky gal!! we got a new goodwill and it opened last week so my mom and i went the other night. i got a huge coach bag that sells for at least $800 for 20 bucks!! and a flight suit for drake for 3 bucks! miss ya meg and hope to see you soon!

Headle said...

Way to go Megan!! I LOVE that coat and those clothes!! It always brings sooo much piece of mind to know our little ones are bundled up warm. Your little guys will be stylin' too :D You are such a cutie!

Nick, Lynnie, & Cole said...

That rocks! I love bargain shopping!

D and Brittany Whipple said...

That's the best! The Children's Orchard in our area just closed, so I'm gonna miss all those fabulous sales! Enjoy it for me :)

Hubers said...

Megan, Congrats on your finds. Doesn't if feel good to bet the system!

You should try Children's Place too. I have never paid more than $4.50(for pants, $2.10 for shirts) for brand new clothes there. (Sorry, Once I spent $6 for a brand new coat! I forgot about that above) They have EXCELLENT sales and send out coupons that you can double or even triple up on if you want. I always shop during their big sales and come home with enough clothes for a year or so! Stacy Staples introduced me to Children's Place couponing...I loved that girl!

Abbie said...

i really need to come to ann arbor. i love hyrum's pose in the pants picture. so funny.

Unknown said...

Yes!! I love free deals. Great bargain hunting Megan. I read in some financial book that I forgot the title of that a dollar saved is more than a dollar earned because of what it takes to actually earn that dollar. I.E. you have to pay taxes on it, and some dollars come harder than othters. Im not quite sure what that really means but it sounds good and it makes me feel good about not being an ignorant consumer.
Geoff G.

Angela said...

Sounds like somebody has been paying their tithing. ;) What a huge blessing! Great finds!

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

That's awesome about the deals! So fun to go shopping when the prices are so great! Hope you're doing well!